Director of Organizational Leadership -
Leaders in Action for Justice Grade: I
SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Location: Washington, D.C.
SEIU's Director of Organizational Leadership directs the leadership programs for the Service Employees International Union, a 2 million member organization dedicated to improving lives of workers and their families. SEIU's leadership program (“Leaders in Action for Justice”) is dedicated to building visionary, strategic and inclusive leaders and equitable, powerful and agile organizations to realize the vision and strategies of SEIU.
The Director of Organizational Leadership works with SEIU's elected leaders to craft strategies and programs for member, staff and elected leaders that:
- Develop tens and hundreds of thousands of member leaders and activists to wage campaigns in our communities for economic, racial, immigrant and environmental justice
- Transform our organizations to be innovative, nimble and sustainable, in order to gain the power to win those justice fights with community partners, now and into the future
- Help lead in the mission to be the anti-racist, inclusive and equitable organization that SEIU members deserve and demand
- Work with officers, senior staff and local union leaders to develop innovative and impactful organizational leadership strategies, with a focus on member leadership and activism and systemic organizational change to quickly and effectively adapt to future trends.
- Lead a team of staff to wage the unionwide internal campaign to build the union of the future, in partnership with local unions.
- Lead the organizational equity and inclusion work with local unions, and the unionwide education around racial justice. A special focus on developing member leaders under the age of 35 is included in the inclusion mandate.
- Be the hub of organizational innovation learning and practice.
- Work across SEIU to integrate leadership development and organizational equity and inclusion into all campaigns and programs of the union – and to align leadership programs with current strategies being pursued by SEIU.
- Oversee the Department's plan, staff and budget and work to meet the goals of the union. Serve as a liaison to other department directors to assist them in decision making around key strategies.
- Perform other duties as required.
President and Officers, Division/Department Directors, Local Union Leaders.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Executive Vice President and Chief of Staff, and is a member of the SEIU Senior Leadership Team.
Education and Experience:
A minimum of 10 years' experience in political, organizing or campaign-related work in labor or social justice organizations. Degree from an accredited four year college or university is preferred, or experience that is equivalent to a degree.
- Experience building or strengthening membership-based organizations and commitment to building member leadership as the primary way to build power for workers
- Knowledge of union and local union structures and systems
- Knowledge of leadership development, organizational change, and innovation theory, models and practices
- Knowledge of and experience with anti-racist organizational change and organizational equity and inclusion practices
- The ability to manage multiple priorities in a timely manner and keep track of a variety of projects.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, including strategic planning.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including the ability to make presentations, plan and develop materials and conferences
- Ability to work collaboratively with all levels of staff and elected officers
- Ability to develop diverse high-performing teams
Most work is performed in an office setting, but may be required to work in other settings conducive to performing the tasks required to complete assignments. Substantial travel and extended hours required.
A resume and cover letter are required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/qmppzz63hy